This post is also available in: Persian

Alberta Skilled and Semi-Skilled Worker Program

Alberta Skilled Worker Program

The Alberta Skilled Worker Program program accommodates Skilled Workers who bring with them the college or university education or special training that can enhance the Alberta work force. It covers foreign nationals with occupational skills in the following categories: Managerial jobs at NOC skill 0, Professional jobs at NOC skill A and Technical jobs and skilled trades jobs at NOC skill B.

In order to show that you will comfortably settle into community life in the province and contribute to the work force in an area where your skills are needed, you must:

  • have at least two years’ experience, required Alberta licensing and the equivalent training by AINP standards, required for the position that you currently hold or have arranged to fill
  • you must either be working in the province on a valid work permit, at a full-time, permanent job with benefits, at prevailing wages, or show proof of a similar job offer from an Alberta employer, who can show a need for your NOC O, A or B skill levels
  • show that the Labour Market Impact Assessment will allow the employment a foreign worker to fill the position or provide an LMIA exemption
  • submit test results from an accredited source that prove that you have a minimum Level 5 language skills in English or French, according to Canadian Language Benchmark standards
  • prove that you plan to stay in the province permanently by showing evidence of networking on a professional, social and community basis, documents pertaining to property ownership or rental, family ties, etc.
  • have adequate settlement funds for you and any dependents

Find out more about the Alberta Skilled Worker Program as well.

Alberta Semi-Skilled Worker Program

Semi-skilled workers may also apply through the Alberta Provincial Nominee Program to work in areas including: food and beverage processing, hotel and lodging, manufacturing, long-haul trucking and the foodservice industries.

In order to qualify for the Alberta Semi-Skilled Worker Program, you must:

Alberta Skilled Worker Program

  • be currently working in a full-time position at standard Alberta regional employment wages with a valid work permit from an Alberta employer
  • show proof of completing high school, (equivalent to Alberta standards)
  • submit an Language Proficiency Test (not more than 2 years old ) from an approved source to prove you meet level 7 of the Canadian Language Benchmark standards for reading, writing, speaking and listening
  • submit a confirmation that offering you employment, does not conflict with any collective bargaining agreements and is allowed according to the Labour Market Impact Assessment report
  • have a settlement plan created and submitted by your employer
  • demonstrate your plans to permanently settle in Alberta by submitting proof of networking on a professional, social and community basis, property rental/ownership or rental, having family ties, etc.
  • have sufficient settlement funds for you and any dependents to travel and establish a home

Unless you fall under the Strategic Recruitment Stream Engineering Occupations Category, you must be in possession of valid work permit or implied status based on the Labour Market Impact Assessment (or exemptions), during the entire AINP application and assessment period.

See more about Working in Alberta or ask the team at 123Visa for advice.

This post is also available in: Persian