Skilled Trades Workers seeking to work in Canada

Skilled Trades Workers seeking to work in Canada

Foreign Nationals who wish to obtain a work permit as Skilled Trades Workers seeking to work in Canada, must qualify before applying. Foreign Workers must prove that they have adequate skills and abilities and can meet the criteria, including having completed a specific minimum number of hours of experience, securing an offer of employment, showing proof of settlement funds, and having a favourable Labour Market Impact Assessment to show the need for the offered skill. Employers may be required to apply for and obtain a confirmation letter, indicating a positive LMIA report, before offering a foreign worker a work contract, in order to prove that no Canadian worker is available to do the job. The job offer letter, contract, LMIA report and number must be included with any work permit applications from Skilled Trades Workers seeking to work in Canada.

The following categories are evaluated and the numbers listed are the top scores possible for each area:

  • Language Ability – 28 points
  • Age – 12 points
  • Education –  25 points (formal education)
  • Work Experience15 points (must be paid, skilled work experience 10 within 10 years prior to applying, and you require a min. score of 9)
  • Employment – 10 points (offers of employment must meet criteria)
  • Adaptability 10 points – (based on various factors determining how well you will assimilate and successfully function in Canada)

A minimum score of 67 out of 100 in the above 5 categories, must be reached to make it into the Express Entry Pool.

Skilled Trades Workers or Semi-Skilled Labour Workers include NOC skill level C or D class, including labourers, customer service representatives, food and beverage servers, housekeeping attendants or long-haul truck drivers. In a recent draw held by the IRCC to select applicants for Skilled Trades Workers, in January of 2018, the minimum score was 290, down from the December 2017 scores.

Obviously, lower skills are required for seasonal work, such as harvesting fruit and vegetables, whereas a college diploma or apprenticeships are may be required for jobs involving driving, construction, electrical and technical skills, etc.

Canada offers employment to Skilled Trades Workers through both the Federal Program and through some of the Provincial Nominee Programs. Obtaining work as a semi-skilled labourer may be the very first step towards Permanent Resident Status in Canada. Let our Immigration Team at 123Visa consult with you, and guide you through the application process. Call 778-317-4959 for a free assessment. Our attention to detail and knowledge of every step involved can be invaluable!

Share this with friends

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *