This post is also available in: Persian

Study in Canada as an International Student

Canada can provide wonderful educational opportunities to allow you to study in Canada as an International Student at the many colleges and universities across the country. Many international students are taking advantage of this opportunity. Over 350,000 international students came to Canada to pursue post-graduate studies in 2015. 

In order to be eligible to for a study permit in Canada, you are required to meet several criteria. You must:
  • provide a ‘Letter of Acceptance’ from a Designated Learning Institution, including Canadian universities, community colleges, CEGEP’s, publicly funded trade and technical schools and private institutions authorized to award degrees, diplomas and certificates
  • actively pursue your studies while in Canada
  • provide proof of payment for tuition fees
  • have sufficient funds to support yourself and any dependents for 12 months and purchase return transportation to your country for you and your family
  • prove that you intend to return to your home country when your study permit ends
  • be a law-abiding citizen and possibly undergo a criminal record check
  • be prepared to undergo a medical exam

Foreign Students get help to Study in CanadaInternational students who have a valid study permit may work in Canada while completing their studies, without having to obtain a work permit. Also, the spouses or common-law partners of international students may work in Canada as well, during their spouse’s study permit period if they can obtain an Open Work Permit, to allow them to work.

Study in Canada as an International Student and work while you study:

International students who are enrolled in any course at an institution on a full-time basis, and hold a valid study permit, may work at one or more of the institution’s campuses, (in the same municipality) without having to obtain a work permit to ‘work on campus’.  

To work ‘off-campus’, international students may be allowed to work up to 20 hours a week during regular the school term and full-time during school breaks, without a work permit, if you qualify.

In order to be eligible to work off-campus, you must:
  • have a valid study permit
  • be studying at a post-secondary level at one of the designated learning institutions listed above 
  • maintain an academic standing that is considered satisfactory by their educational institution
  • be enrolled in an academic, vocational or professional training program, that is a minimum of six months long and awards degrees, diplomas or certificates

Helpful information for those who wish to Study in Canada as an International Student:

After your Study Permit ends and you have completed your studies and wish to remain in Canada as a visitor, you may apply for a Visitor Visa. Otherwise, your Study Permit will become invalid 90 days after you complete your study program. Visitors to Canada may also apply for a study permit while in Canada.

Applications for Study Permits are submitted online, by mail or at the Canadian embassy)Visa Application Center) in your country or the nearest country with a Canadian embassy. Click on this link to look up the Study Permit application processing time for your country.

Find out how 123Visa helps foreign nationals interesting in becoming an international student in Canada and obtain a Study Permit application. Book an appointment with one of our consultants and get started.

This post is also available in: Persian